Know your Audience
- Who visits your site and what are they looking for?
- Think about the different types of visitors that make up your audience and what their goals are.
- If you are working on a redesign, does your existing website have Google Analytics or ADM Web Reports on it? Review the data, look for trends, and make note of your top viewed pages.
- Talk to your customer-facing employees for a good peek into your audience, their questions and their needs.
- Is there information people currently have a difficult time finding on your site? Address this in your redesign.
Keep the Good
- What parts of your site are currently working well? Make sure that you keep the aspects of your website that people find helpful.
- Look at your web statistics. The top entry pages have been bookmarked by your users, so be sure to keep this type of information at the same address, create a redirect, or make a 404 page that takes this type of visitor into consideration.
Do you need new Content?
- Take an inventory of your current website content and see what needs to be updated, what should be archived, and any new content that needs to be written.
- Consider re-launching with minor updates and adding new content in a phased way if you need a lot of new information added to your new website.